POWr Weather

Monday, November 2, 2015

Mezclando Lava!?!? Eder Taylor Malolo in Gijon, Spain

Qué tal familia mía!?
        Another week down, last one of the transfer! Elder Schwenke is obviously going home and honestly anything can happen up here so I don't know what to expect. Also, I have been here for an eternity and a day, at this point people that I have contacted in the past say hola and stuff and we have a normal conversation always ending with me inviting them to learn about the gospel and they say no haha. I pass by stores where the owners or workers can see us from the window and they wave and yell "Hasta Luego!" Which just means "Have a nice day!" Sooooo I'm only a big deal over here;)
      Something that is super fun to do if you are a missionary!! Ask people how old they think you are!! It's funny the answer you get sometimes! So this week a woman we met on the street that's an English teacher invited us to help teach her class at the "Colegio de los Idiomas". So we showed up and we were planning to be there from 4pm to 9:30pm. With about 3 different classes and over 30 people in each class! We weren't able to talk about the Gospel BUT we got to sing for them! We were able to talk individually to most people and a lot of them said this "Wow I have seen you guys on the street and honestly I wouldn't have talked to you at all but now I think I might!" Kind of awkward but hey, at least they will talk to us now! At one point they asked us to do the Haka, so we did of course, Elder Schwenke and I are showmen. While we did it people from German classes, Chinese classes, and others ran into our room and started recording us and all applauded!! I felt like I was right back home at Aloha Fest hahaha. I don't know if any of you have had the opportunity to just talk to someone learning English but it's definitely a fun experience to help them! Especially when you are learning Spanish and Spanish speakers are all impatient with you so it's a little payback;)
       This week also was a momentous moment in Asturias (The general name of where I serve). So we had been talking with the Branch President of Aviles, an area that hasn't had missionaries for 3 years, and we were planning on doing a Blitz over there where we just contact all day and do missionary work. So what started off as 8 missionaries going ended up being 2, Elder Schwenke and I. The president told us it's ok if we don't come cause the plans are kind of falling apart but we were like nah lets do this!! We went to Aviles with a small list of people to pass by and all the time in the world to contact. We contacted through medio dia for about 8 hours, and we had a TON of success!!! This became known as "El Milagro de Avilés" for the members. Haha it's funny how much the Gospel has changed me in such weird ways. I wouldn't dare sing to anybody unless it were just myself and a mirror but now I'm singing in front of tons of people in Spanish!?!? What the heck Elder Malolo is that you!?;) ya dang right!
      Alright, don't wanna bore you guys with my stories so I'll bore you with my spiritual thought this week. I was chosen again to teach a class for church this week and I like to do it alone just to torture myself with Spanish without help from anyone else. I had the opportunity to teach from chapter 24 from Teachings of President Ezra Taft Benson called "Una vida centrada en Cristo". I was originally going to just type this all in Spanish but I decided not to cause I think only like 5 people I email speak Spanish.
       In the very beginning, President Benson gives testimony that we can only follow the Saviors example with his help. Saying:

“I know the Lord lives. I know that He loves us. I know that apart from Him no one can succeed, but as a partner with Him no one can fail. I know that God can make a lot more out of our lives than we can. May we all have the moral courage from this moment forward to more fully strive each day to think on Christ, learn of Him, walk in His steps, and do what He would have us do.”

I invite you all to read this chapter, as you read you will come to the part when President Benson speaks of Christlike attributes. One in particular REALLY interests me:

"Another attribute described by Peter as being part of the divine nature is temperance. [A temperate person] is restrained in his emotions and verbal expressions. He does things in moderation and is not given to overindulgence. In a word, he has self-control. He is the master of his emotions, not the other way around."

I had the PERFECT example of that last week. Us and the Hermanas were eating at our branch presidents house. We were having soup and it had like bananas and meat and stuff ya know, Colombian food. An Hermana sitting next to me did something I don't know but spilled a ton of her soup right on my lap, even though it was scolding hot and all over my suit I kept cool, nobody really knew what happened but the Hermana started crying for some reason out of embarrassment. So I stood up and asked to go to the bathroom and clean up as much as I could and sat down and continued eating. At this point I forgave her already (I worked really hard on forgiveness a while ago). So for me the rest of the dinner appointment was fine! The Hermana kept asking "are you mad at me?" I said "no of course not, it's not like you meant to do it" she said "Is there anything I can do? I'll pay for you to get it cleaned?" I said "No it's alright, you just need to forgive yourself". 

WHAAAAAT!?!? Ok I'm still working on humility, but man how good am I at Temperance am I right!?;) I don't have too much time today, I hope you all had an amazing week to come. Ill just be in a different country trying to figure out what I'm being fed and being yelled at in a different language. Peace!
Con mucho amor
Élder Malolo
       

No comments:

Post a Comment