POWr Weather

Monday, December 14, 2015

Coslada (Land of the Romanians)..Elder Taylor Malolo in Torrejon, Spain

Hola familia mía!!
      This week has been kind of crazy, I found out my area just got
opened up 6 weeks ago for the first time in 9 years! There haven't
been missionaries here for a long time! But in Torrejon (where our
piso is located) the ward there is huge and so many people speak
English and I'm not used to that yet, I'm still in Spanish mode! Haha.
All we have been doing all week is contacting which is fun, but there
is one problem...the people in our area don't speak Spanish or
english!! They speak Romanian!!! About 80% of the people here are from
Rome and they don't want to learn Spanish so I think when I got my
mission call they should have told me I'd be speaking Spanish AND
Romanian cause that's what we have to do! You'd think Romanian would
be pretty simple if you know Spanish...nope. It's literally like a
mixture of German and Spanish with crazy letters and weird
pronunciations but that's ok, I'll get it down eventually!
      So I prayed that my next companion would like to sing, anddddddd
now my companion was in choir! Not only him, but an elder next door
did choir too! And his companion majored in music! We have the most
musically talented district in the mission right now and we got
invited to go sing at a devotional by the Madrid Temple! I'm getting a
lot better at the uke now, I'm at least able to know what the chords
are if someone tells me a note so we are making some Christmas songs,
watch out for our mixtape.
    This area that I'm in is really into basketball, lots of people
are playing in parks and stuff. My companion is about 6'3 so I said
"hey lets go play some people at basketball!" He agreed so we found a
group of guys a little older than us. We decided to play 2v2 and let
me just say Utah has definitely helped me with my basketball and my
companion can dunk! We are just an athletic duo over here haha!
    Since I'm finally in Madrid I guess I can tell you how it is
here! It is freezing and it smells like poop everywhere!! Yeah, not
what I expected but hey I'm in Madrid Spain, I can't be mad at that
right? Still we have no dryer, only a washer, and with winter here it
freezes me clothes when I hang them up. The spaniards here don't have
half as bad as an accent than the North so now when I speak Spanish
everyone is like WHOA where did you learn that!? I say "learned it in
the good ol Gijon/Xixón!
      Yesterday we had a caroling activity at the temple and there
were lots of missionaries going, so when I got there people all knew
each other and I'm like a loner cause I had been castigado (cast out)
to the North my first 6 months. This Hermana comes up to me and says
"I don't think I've met you before what's your name?" I say Elder
Malolo. She says "oh my gosh, wait right here!!" She leaves and comes
running back with her companion and they show me the video of me doing
the slap dance from my first week in Spain!!!!! Then everyone kind of
crowds around me and starts showing me funny videos that my companions
have made with me. I feel like a YouTube star or something but now I
have lots of friends!
      For my lil spiritual thought I don't know if this is super
spiritual but it's something that has now changed our ward (after a
week of me being here). In this Ward there is about half Spanish
speaking people and the other half are Africans. The Africans speak
little Spanish but good English and the Spanish speak little English
and good Spanish. Neither of them want to learn the others language so
there is tension here and it's literally kind of segregated! So I go
into gospel principles and the teacher only speaks Spanish and the
room is divided half African half Spanish. So the missionaries sit on
the Spanish side and I'm like wait...why do I need to sit here? So I
go to the other side and you can hear like gasps as I do that! I sit
down in the middle of the Africans and I start translating what the
teacher is saying into English! Apparently NOBODY has tried to
translate for them! By the end of the class the teacher came up to me
and tells me "I don't think I have ever had so much participation
before this day!" So now my job every Sunday is to translate to the
Africans and help them learn Spanish and stuff!!
  That's about it from my side of the world. I hope you are all doing
great!! I love you all and have an awesome week erbody!!

Con amor
Élder Malolo

No comments:

Post a Comment